The term “superfoods” can mean different things for different people.
Even the most nutrient-rich superfood is meaningless if you don’t like it or it causes an allergic reaction.
But don’t worry…there are tons of superfoods that can help you lose weight with pleasure and ease.
Below is a list of such foods based on what they do in your body to enhance fat-burning and/or muscle building.
Look through the list and choose the ones that are most appealing to you and start adding them more frequently to your diet.
I suggest picking the top 3 and making a goal to eat them daily or 5 days a week. Whatever the amount is, make it realistic and specific.
Goals are only helpful if you can do them and you set up measurable outcomes.
Once you have added the top 3 consistently, I suggest going outside of your comfort zone and adding another 3 that you normally don’t eat.
Try adding kohlrabi, capers, and miso to your diet, or dates, buckwheat, and kefir.
The point is to mix it up, try new things and increase your repertoire but also to be adding foods that truly will help you lose weight and gain health.
Every 2 months or so, come back to this list and add another 3.
By the end of the year, you may have 20 new superfoods you are eating regularly. Your body will thank you!
The foods below help you lose weight because they are rich in “polyphenols”.
Polyphenols are plant nutrients that improve blood sugar regulation, promote fat-burning, enhance muscle building, and help control inflammation.
- Green Tea
- Red Onion
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Cayenne or Red Chilis
The foods below help you lose weight because they make you feel full longer.
- Fish, Seafood, & Meat (These are protein-rich foods that will keep hunger and cravings at bay for longer periods of time than other foods.)
- Legumes (beans, peas, lentils, cashews). Legumes are especially satisfying because they are dense in fiber and also contain protein.
- Fiber-Dense Veggies (aka “roughage” such as kale, broccoli rabe, collard greens, Brussels Sprouts, etc)
- Fiber-Dense Fruit such as passionfruit, guava, mango, persimmon, avocado, jicama, blueberries, raspberries, cherries, olives, pears, and apples
- Seeds (especially chia and flax) and Nuts (especially almonds, pistachio, hazelnuts, and pecans)
The foods below help you lose weight because they promote a healthy microbiome.
- Prebiotic fibers such as allium (onion, shallots, leeks, garlic, scallions), carrots, sunchokes, artichoke hearts, jicama, dandelion greens, asparagus, berries, cherries, banana
- Cruciferous Veggies: Bok Choy, Broccoli, Broccoli Rabe (aka Rapini), Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage of all kinds, Cauliflower, Collard Greens, Kale, Kohlrabi, Mustard Greens, Radishes, Rutabaga, Swiss Chard, Turnips, Watercress
- Fermented Veggies such as fermented sauerkraut or kimchi, fermented carrots, fermented beets, etc
- Fermented Foods such as kefir, yogurt, sourdough bread, miso, and natto
- Fiber-rich foods such as beans, peas, lentils, nuts, seeds, whole grains, and high fiber fruit and vegetables (see above)