Every moment is an opportunity to practice self-care.
I know that we have been trained to think that self-care is this thing we do when we have plenty of time or when we really, really deserve or need it.
But I would like to offer a different approach to self-care.
What if it was something you could do at any moment of the day?
What if there was a form of self-care that was so easily available to you that it could be practiced throughout the day, without spending money or taking more than a few minutes of your time?
There is such a form of self-care!
I like the term “self-care snacks” because it can imply that instead of snacking on food, we can snack on something even more satisfying.
How about a little self-love or self-appreciation instead of a cookie? And how about doing it throughout the day, whenever you remember?
And how about NOT waiting until you are overwhelmed, stressed out, tired, burnt out, or overly frustrated?
I invite you to practice self-care snacks in the following way.
If you are feeling down, discouraged, defeated, worried, or any other feeling that makes you want some tenderness toward yourself you can do the following:
- Throughout the day, whenever you remember, just take a moment to put your hand on your heart or your cheeks or any other part of your body that feels right to you, and just take 2-3 deep breaths. Count your breath to be a little longer on the exhale (this relaxes the nervous system more). So you could do a 4-count inhale and an 8-count exhale.
- Another great one is to hug yourself!! Do what feels right. Do what feels gentle and kind to yourself.
- One of my favorites is to lie on the floor, hug my knees to my chest lightly, and rock from side to side. This is incredibly soothing!
- Give yourself some grace. A big part of the reason we get so upset is that we are disappointed that we feel bad or worried. Allow yourself to have your emotions. Feel them. Give them attention because they won’t just go away, usually, they just get worse. Take a moment to mentally review your feelings and what is at the core of them or a few moments to journal about them. Here is a great way to process your upset.
If you need a boost of confidence or feel like giving yourself some courage you can do a more strengthening type of self-care as follows:
- Put your hands on your hips and strike a power pose and in that position take 3 deep breaths. Breathe in a way that feels right for you but try out some quick, powerful breaths like you are blowing out a candle.
- Another idea is to assume a semi-squat position with your feet firmly rooted in the ground and to open your arms wide and strong with your hands in fists. If it feels right, lift up your heels and drop them a few times to feel more rooted or do some mini-squats. Feel your power, babe, you’ve got it!
If you are feeling low energy, tired, stressed, or overwhelmed you can do the following:
- Put on your favorite song and dance for a few minutes.
- Stand or sit comfortably and just shake every aspect of your body; shake your legs and your arms, do a little twisting, shake your head and your face, shake it all out. This feels fantastic and releases tension quickly.
- Play some nature sounds in the background as you do a quick stretch; stand firm and let your upper body hang forward as you place your hands on the floor in front of you or on your legs. Feel a gentle soothing stretch in the back of your legs and let your head hang, swinging from right to left. Shake it out.
See? Self-care doesn’t have to be this big, involved process!
Think of it as a snack and intersperse these little sessions throughout your day.
Drink a large glass of water before or after, just like you would after a snack!
We know how hard it can be to lose weight. There are so many barriers and we all need accountability. That is why we created our WYN Weight Loss Program, to help you lose weight with ease.
The WYN Weight Loss Program is for anyone who has struggled with yo-yo dieting or needs accountability and support. It is for you if you are tired of being confused about how to lose weight in the best way possible for your body. And it is for you if you want to lose weight with ease.
Yes, it is possible to enjoy the process! That is what we are all about!