In my day-to-day work with clients during this crazy time, I hear certain issues coming up repeatedly.
So, I figured I would write a blog post addressing some of these common issues.
- What do I do if I can’t find the meat or frozen veggies I’m looking for?
- Buy seafood or shrimp. They seem to be more available
- Use beans!
- Guys, there is quite a bit of fresh produce in the stores. Buy that. I don’t have a crystal ball but I’m pretty sure we are not going to run out of food or toilet paper as long as we all act like normal human beings. IJS
- I am so distracted. How do I focus?
- Get into a routine as soon as you can. Plan out your day and try to wake up and take a shower like you normally would.
- Get outside as much as you can. Take walks, go hiking, go to the park, etc.
- Plan exercise into your daily routine. No matter your level of fitness you can find some kind of physical activity, walking is wonderful! You can run or bike as well. Just put it in your DAILY routine.
- I’m feeling hopeless. Why bother even getting out of bed?
- First of all, if you are feeling a high level of depression or anxiety it is time to see a therapist or trained mental health professional. Do not wait on this one.
- Again, this is where routine can help. Getting out of bed BECAUSE you have a routine sounds weird, but it works. We are simple creatures in some ways.
- Recognize that this will end because it will.
- Try to focus on the present moment. Sometimes the worry, anxiety, and sadness are by-products of doom and gloom forecasting. No one knows what is going to happen. Stop listening to predictions and try to focus on being present and appreciating what is right in front of you.
- What are some online stores I can order from?
- Where do I get easy recipes?
- I have been sending out some immunity-boosting recipes. You can sign up for those here.
- I like this page for easy recipes that are healthy and they look tasty too!
- Can I order food?
- Yes, many supermarkets and restaurants are still offering food deliveries. Just call to ask. Most supermarkets are allowing orders at specific times so it may be hard but it seems to be a possibility for many people still.
- Maybe now is a good time to start up with a meal delivery service like Sun Basket. They deliver the fresh ingredients for a specific recipe and you cook it up. Blue Apron does this as well but I don’t think they’re organic.
- I’m bored!
- The possibilities are endless here. Take up a new hobby. Get stuff done around the house that you’ve been putting off. Start a new journal about this whole experience. Start being social online. Learn a new language. Watch online concerts. And so on.
- You should be moving as much as possible. Definitely a daily walk is in order (unless you physically cannot walk). Do online dance classes. Do workout videos. Clean and purge. Avoid sitting around as much as you can. We humans are designed to move and we are driven to get stuff done. Sitting around watching Netflix will get old fast.
- Take advantage of this opportunity and become a better person. Imagine emerging from this situation with a new skill or knowing that you helped a bunch of people. How cool would that be?
- Watch and listen to comedy. Not only is it entertaining, it will take your mind off all the stressful stuff, make you feel happier, AND help you be more healthy!
- I’m Stressed!
- This is not a time to let stress fester. Address it and address it correctly or you may start to get panicky! I’ve been there so I know how it is.
- Every time you START to feel overwhelmed or stressed, take 10 deep breaths. Breathe in through the nose, hold your breath for a few counts, and then breathe out through the mouth. Try to count while you do it. I suggest 6-8 counts in, hold for 4 counts, and then exhale for 8-10. But do what feels right. Imagine a very positive word as you inhale like “love” or “peace” and say that word as many times as you can. When you exhale imagine losing all the tension, stress, worry, anxiety, or any other negative feeling or thought. Breathe it off your chest and out of your body. Imagine that bad feeling dissipating into thin air. Away it goes, never to be seen again. This works incredibly well. Do it as many times as you have to throughout the day.
- Get a good meditation app like 10% Happier, Calm, Insight Timer, or Headspace. These all contain guided meditation, which is great for the novice or if you simply cannot pull it together to meditation on your own.
I know it’s tough!
Even though we are not together physically, we are all in this together.
This is our time as humans to shine. I see the opportunity for so much growth and positive change to happen as a result of this. Let’s make the most of it. People are suffering and dying. For those of us that are healthy or mildly ill, it is our duty to create lasting and positive change.